Tuesday, December 10, 2013

DIY Deer String Art

It's a winter wonderland here today, looking magical outside.

I figured that it was a perfect day for DIY Christmas present, and I would tackle the string art first.
I had high hopes for this project; I tried it TWICE before and used the wrong wood board, so I was discouraged when I began. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the final product (I would change a few things if I could, but then again, I'm picky)

Here's the step-by-step on how to do it.
First gather supplies.


Picture:  I printed my picture off the computer and enlarged it to see if it would work better bigger (I went with the smaller version)
Wood: I got this board from Michael's for $10 and it is by FAR my favorite wood material I've used for string art
Embroidery Floss: I got lots of colors for $0.30 each at Walmart, and then decided based on what I thought would look best
Nails: I got these from Home Depot, and made sure that they had a flat top.  You can pick whichever size is best for your project, but I used 1"nails.
Hammers: I have two sizes just for the nails that were really close together

And now you're ready to start. Start by fitting your template onto the wood in the place that looks best.  


Then start nailing down the outline.
This part takes a bit...
and a bit longer...


Then rip off the paper.

Next, I put string around the outline, wrapping it once around each nail.

Then I just started filling in the middle, with NO order (hard for this OCD girl). I kept wrapping and ended up with the finished project.


What do you think? Show me yours if you make any :]

No comments:

Post a Comment